Leaving home

Advice on parental eviction or leaving the home of your family or friends

This leaflet provides advice and tools for people who are thinking of leaving their family

home or the home of their extended family or friends.

Guidance and tools

This can help you and the parent/s or family you live with by providing practical ideas to help

you all to try and work out a solution so you don’t have to leave home.

Parental Eviction is one of the biggest causes of homelessness in Knowsley and in England, so it is vital that you explore your options first and check your entitlements.

When to leave home is a major decision which should not be taken lightly. Although leaving home will grant you more freedom, it also means you will have responsibilities that you have probably not had to deal with before.

The best way to leave home is after careful thought and planning.

Leaving your parental home at a very young age, especially if you have nowhere to go, should be the very last option that you should consider.

You could easily end up homeless.

You will not necessarily get a social housing property and you may have to find a deposit and rent in advance for a home in the private sector.

Before making any decisions, please contact the Housing Options Team; they can give you advice on your own personal situation. 0800 694 0280

Before you leave home you need to think about:

  • What options you have
  • What help you can get
  • Where you can get help
  • How will you manage financially?

Feel unsafe at home?

If you have absolutely no choice and feel that you have to leave home immediately, for example because someone is being violent or abusive towards you, you must seek help right away.

There are a number of agencies who can assist you, including perhaps finding you a safe place to go. Some of these are listed below:

  • Childline: 0800 1111 free 24 hour support helpline for children and young people
  • Womens Aid: 0808 2000 247 free 24 hour helpline for victims of domestic violence
  • Knowsley’s Safeguarding Team – 0151 443-2600
  • Knowsley Housing Options 0800 694 0280

If your relationship with your family has broken down because of your sexual orientation or gender identity

If you’re feeling unsafe or are being excluded from your home due to coming out to family members, there are specific organisations who can provide support and possibly a safe place for you to go.

There are a specialist organisations for members of the LGBT community.

Here are details of how to contact them and ways they could help you


Support and advice for LGBT young people living in Knowsley. Gay Knowsley can offer support and advice on the following issues:

  • Support with family conflict and problems at home.
  • Help with bullying, homophobia and discrimination.
  • Housing issues.
  • Drug and/or alcohol concerns.
  • Work, college or school issues.
  • Relationship advice.
  • Safer sex and sexual health information.

Tel: 0870 990 8996 (between 12pm – 6pm Monday to Saturday).

Tel: 07748 140 275 (between 6pm – 10pm Mondays only).

Other support you can get

 There are lots of agencies which support young people with a range of issues including housing, jobs and career advice, finances, drug and alcohol issues, personal health and safety and much more.

Seeking support when you face important decisions will mean that you are less likely to do something on the spur of the moment which you later regret. Sharing others’ experiences will also really help to prepare you for the unforeseen consequences of any actions you may take.

Useful Websites

The website https://www.gov.uk/guidance/housing-costs-for-18-to-21-year-olds provides more information about which 18-21 year olds can still get help with their housing costs




The YES Project at Centre 63 Kirkby has capacity to offer support to clients in need of support with Benefits, Money & Debt Issues and with housing or property pool applications






Young Persons On-Line Counselling

www.kooth.com (11-25 year olds)

www.there4me.org.uk (12-16 year olds