Asked to leave

There could be many reasons why you may have been asked to leave home, but what is important now is knowing what to do next. Planning where possible can make this process easier, please look at the sections below.

    • If you find yourself in this situation you need to contact the freephone 0800 694 0280 as soon as possible.
      Alternatively go to the following Knowsley Borough Council, One Stop Shops 
      • Kirkby One Stop Shop – Monday & Friday between 9.00am and 3.00pm
      • Huyton One Stop Shop – Tuesday & Thursday between 9.00 am and 3.00pm Wednesday 11.00am – 3.00pm
  • Consider why you are leaving home:
    If you want to leave because you have family problems, it may be better to try to sort things out if you can. This way, you can leave at a time that suits you and plan any move. We can help you with this if you feel that you cannot communicate with your parents or carers.

    Staying with friends or other family is probably the easiest and least stressful option, but it may only be short term. You will be with people you know. It also gives you breathing-space to look into other options. If you are staying with friends or family temporarily, it will not affect the way we assess your housing situation.

    Finding your own place:
    Can give you more freedom, independence and space, but it’s not guaranteed to be a positive experience. Some young people end up feeling isolated and unable to cope, in debt, or unhappy with where they are living. It’s not easy to manage your own tenancy, and you may struggle to cope with paying rent and your bills.

    • If you are sure you cannot stay at home, speak to Knowsley Housing Options Service who can tell you what options you have for accommodation. If you are 16 or 17 we may be able to support you in this. You may be able to go into supported housing, where you will be helped to develop the skills you will need to live on your own.
  • We can negotiate for you to continue the arrangement, where this is appropriate. Where this is not going to work, we can advise you on the best course of action to resolve your situation.

    This could include supporting you to register on Property Pool Plus. For more information on registering with Property Pool Plus click here

  • If you have nowhere is stay the council may have a duty to place you in temporary accommodation. This could be either within Knowsley or if there are no places available, you could be placed outside of the borough.

    Alternatively you could be placed in Supported Accommodation units, where you will receive help and support in getting you ready to move on into your own accommodation.

    If you are placed in temporary accommodation, an assessment of your support needs will be made, and you may be referred to accommodation more suitable for your needs.

    You will also be given help and advice to enable you to make your stay as short as possible. This will include entering into a repayment plan to address any former tenant arrears you may have, and continuing to address any issues you may that could prevent you from securing permanent accommodation.