Non-violent relationship breakdown housing advice

Housing rights in a relationship breakdown can be complicated and you may need to seek legal advice.

If you have a joint tenancy or own a property with your ex-partner you may still have rights to occupy the place you are living in together.

Where else can I go for housing help and advice?

There are several places you could visit:

Shelter has produced a guide for people who have experienced a relationship breakdown and what their housing rights are after splitting up.

Shelter can also be contacted by telephone: 0344 515 1944.or visit

Citizens Advice Bureau – for general and legal advice and help

If you’ve decided that you need to find a new home, our website has information helping you

with the different options for Looking for a new home.

We can also be telephoned directly 0800 694 0280