Advice about tenancies, evictions and the ending of a tenancy

This page gives advice about the ending of, or eviction from, different types of tenancies, such as social housing tenancies and assured shorthold tenancies.

What type of tenancy do I have?

Most people have an assured shorthold tenancy, if you are unsure what type of tenancy you have, then this tool on the Shelter website is very useful to help you find out:


Guidance and tools available

For social tenants, who live in housing association properties, the reason for the ending of the tenancy and eviction can vary.

Citizens Advice Bureau provides some clear advice on its web page

For tenants who rent from a private landlord or are thinking of renting in the private sector you may wish to see advice on CAB website

Shelter is an excellent resource for help and advice for all types of tenancies, on its page.

If you have been given a notice from your landlord, then you should contact housing options as soon as possible on 0800 694 0280.

When we see you or speak to you we will be able to check and confirm whether your housing problems mean under Housing Law you are entitled to have your case considered as a homeless application and we can work out exactly what can be done to try and make sure you don’t become homeless.



  • Get together all the paperwork you have been given or sent about the tenancy.

    When we see you or next see you we will want to see the following documents so start to get these together now. We need to see:

    1. The Tenancy Agreement
    2. Anything else you were given when you signed the tenancy such as the Energy Performance Certificate and the Gas Safe Certificate
    3. The Section 21 notice
    4. If you paid a deposit we want to see the paperwork that the landlord should have given you about where they have protected the deposit. This is called prescribed information.
    5. We will want to see any emails or letters you have received from the landlord or agent and any copies of any you have sent
    6. Before you come to see us try and write down the dates and details of any contact between you and your landlord regarding the notice you have received.
  • Start to look at where you can afford to rent in case the actions don’t work We want you to take these actions regardless of any steps being taken to save the tenancy you have. A back up of trying to find somewhere else to rent is needed in case action to save your tenancy fail.

  • Register with Property Pool Plus if you are being evicted from a social landlord tenancy, then it is unlikely you will be rehoused via Property Pool Plus and you should take steps to look for private rented accommodation.

    How to work out where you can afford to rent

    Given the small number of Housing Association homes available if you have to leave your tenancy you will almost certainly have to consider renting from a landlord in the private rented sector.

  • Sit down and work out where you will be able to afford to rent

    If you have relatives or close friends in any other towns or areas it might be best to look at the rents for these areas first.

    There is a website run by the BBC that is probably the most accurate way of working out the typical rent and how much you might be able to afford if they would need to rely on benefits to pay all or part of their rent.

    First click on the link below for the BBC where can I afford to live website –


    Now do the following things to work out where you can afford to rent:

    1. Now that you have opened the link select the rent not buy option
    2. Select the number of bedrooms based on what you think the household looking to rent would be entitled to
    3. Select the amount of rent you think you can afford monthly
    4. Think about any towns or cities that you might be interested to live in.  Is there anywhere where relatives or friends of the family currently live?
    5. Then next you will need to obtain what is called the local housing allowance (LHA) benefit rent figure for that town or town you are interested in. To do this go to something called the valuation Office website. –

    – It is quite easy to use so don’t worry.

    1. This website will let you know what the weekly amount you might be able to get in benefit towards the rent for size of the household looking to rent. You need to take this weekly amount and x it by 4 to give you a monthly benefit rent figure. Then put this monthly figure into box on the BBC website where it asks you how much can you afford to pay in rent per month.
    2. Press submit and this will show you on a map the market rents for the size of property you need compared to how much you might be able to obtain in benefits to pay for the rent. A lot of areas will be unaffordable so ‘hold’ the mouse over a lot of areas on the interactive map and it will come up with the average monthly market rent so you can compare this to what you typically might be able to afford with the help of the benefit rent figure.

    Alternatively – The following website will give average market rents by area and by postcode/town both in the Town and for any area outside of it-

    Then compare the market rent to the LHA maximum rent using the Valuation Office Agency website that gives you the maximum LHA levels by household size for each area –

    Make a list of the areas where you might want to consider living and contact your case officer or the housing options team on 0800 694 0280. We might be able to help you to look for accommodation in these areas.